Monday, January 30, 2012

Why the Bible Never Gets Old

So many times have I heard those who've grown up in Christian homes, or even those who haven't, say "I already know this story in the Bible," or, "I've read this before.. why should I have to read this all over again?"
I've grown up in a Christian home and have had these exact same thoughts flash through my mind in my lifetime.. especially in the junior high and early high school years.

Well here's the thing:
God's Word isn't about the stories; it's about every Word.

I realized something recently in my life.. when I re-read books like Pride and Prejudice, it's not because I don't know how it's going to end. It's not because I forget what happens in the story. On the contrary, I can tell you that story backwards and forwards. I re-read that book because I wish to inhale the wording, soaking in every description and dreaming of every image.

Oh how we take for granted the gift of having the Bible in our hands, readily available and filled with beautiful descriptions of God's eternal love for us and our security in Him. "I know these stories. I get the concepts." How easy it is to fall into this mentality, forgetting the everlasting truths within it.

Each book, each chapter, each verse seems to have new beauty every time I read it. 
Within God's Word lies countless examples of God's faithfulness in other believers lives, giving us the capability to glimpse into their hearts and the opportunity to learn from each individual's unique relationship with God.
Within God's Word lies numerous truths, paving the way for our every day lives and teaching us how to daily overcome the struggles of this world ultimately for God's glory.
Within God's Word lies the most real and passionate love story ever told- God's love for mankind. A love that mankind did not deserve.

I legitimately get chills thinking about it.
I love Pride and Prejudice just as much as the next hopeless romantic, but no book has as much passion, truth, meaning, hope, and LIFE as the Word of God.
Well, that, and the Bible is inspired by God.. and well, Pride and Prejudice is.. not.

The Word is ALIVE. It's new every time I read it. It's fresh. It holds LIFE.
"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
Hebrews 4:12

2 comments:

  1. This is good stuff! I've had the same thoughts before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, every single day I read the Bible it gets cooler and cooler.. and more interesting.

    Just read 1 Samuel 5 & 6 today.. let me tell you- CRAZY stuff.

    ReplyDelete