Monday, April 23, 2012

To Be Pursued

Every woman wishes for a man who will fight for her. A man who will chase after her. Who will love her. Who will pursue her.

Now let us take a trip into Webster's mind to see how he defines the word "pursue." Well, actually dictionary.com .. but in the same extended family as Webster.
One definition given is "to strive to gain; seek to attain or accomplish (an end, object, purpose, etc.)" and another given is "to carry on or continue (a course of action, a train of thought, an inquiry, studies, etc.)." To pursue is to take action in winning over or completing a goal. It is a continual process of determination and dedication. Every woman dreams of a man who truly seeks after her heart; a man who simply wants to win her heart will not do- he must capture and treasure it.I wonder if men know that, and if with this knowledge they manipulate the hearts of women intentionally. This may be naive, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

The word "pursue" has been on my mind a lot lately. I've been thinking about the typical dream of a woman to be sought after by a man and I've been thinking about God's design of man and wife. They are partners and friends, but above that they take on different roles. The man is a protector, provider and refuge. The woman is the nurturer, encourager and helper. Each role different but each so important.

God has constructed relationships so intricately, intertwining each role and naturally creating the necessity for a man to be the pursuer and not the woman.
As I was thinking about this, I related the topic of relationships to the topic of Christ and the church (pretty typical, but still striking me pretty hard). Just as the husband-wife relationship exemplifies Christ's deep and passionate love for His church, so does a man's pursuit of a woman demonstrate Jesus Christ's intense and fervent pursuit of His people.

So, women who are struggling, waiting for a godly man (who is compatible with you) to pursue you  with passion, strength and love and to treasure your heart after capturing it, remember that the God of the universe and of creation has, is, and continues to pursue you.

Personally, this is something I have had to repeat to myself daily, reminding myself that I AM pursued and that someday, God will bring a man to pursue me as well, displaying a tangible expression of Jesus Christ's pursuit of my heart.

As JJ Heller's song "What Love Really Means" states, Jesus Christ tells us that "I will love you for you, not for what you have done or what you will be come. I will love you for you, I will give you the love that you never knew."


2 comments:

  1. Wow. This is easily my favorite post of yours to date! So helpful for guys like me to hear exactly what you ladies are thinking! Post more things like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm really glad you enjoyed it/ it was helpful. =)

    ReplyDelete