Monday, April 9, 2012

Between the Valley and the Mountain

Every Christian has "valley vs. mountain" moments, and at this current point in my life, I would consider this awkwardly between the two. I am not in a deep pit of despair, but the typical joy has slightly subsided. I'm faithfully in the Word and in prayer (and learning quite a bit spiritually), so I don't believe it has anything to do with that really.

You know those "is my life really even meaningful" moments? I suppose that's sort of what's going on right now. I've hit a point where I'm doing everything I can to serve God, yet still feel like I'm completely falling short, missing the oceans of individuals who don't know and never have heard of Jesus Christ. Lately I have been especially burdened for orphans. I am not sure what exactly brought this on, but I feel like I've been failing in this area. As I have been currently going through the book of James with my prayer group, I have read the Christian's call to minister to those in need, and I have been convicted of my lack of activity within this area.

James 1: 26-27
26 If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless. 27 Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

Major conviction there. 
Here I am, sitting, wondering why I'm so unsatisfied with my life, and I realize because I'm not even fulfilling this. Right now, with four weeks left of school, work, leadership and finals, and I suppose I can't take on anymore commitments this very moment, but I really want to be involved this summer somehow. I have no idea what doors God will open, but I am ready for whatever He may bring my way.  Maybe that isn't what He wants me to do, but if it is, I am willing, open and ready. 


Today, I began James 2 for next week's prayer groups, and once again the conviction grew.
Let me add something before I share the verses that stuck out to me:
As I was sitting outside doing some Bible reading before work, my mom called. I figured it would be a typical "Are you eating enough? Are you well rested?? TAKE NAPS!" phone call, but on the contrary, my mom called with a very different topic at hand. 

"Lena, I want to tell you about a quick story I read in a Christian magazine today!" she told me. She went on to tell me about a young lady who gave up comfort to go to Uganda (after visiting on a short term missions trip) and care for orphans. She is maybe a few years older than me, single and has adopted 14 children. She is caring for them through support from her home church, and she is also teaching at a school in Uganda.
So, this is the story my mom told me right before I hung up and continued my Bible reading.
This is what I read....



James 2:14-22
14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect?


Yes. I believe the rest is self explanatory.

May God give me opportunities to serve Him in the difficult situations. For now, I will contact local orphanages and see if God opens any doors for this summer. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment