Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mission Freshman Year: Accomplished

A school year has come and gone, and I cannot believe it. As my parents drive me the thirteen hour trip back home, I can’t help but remember each significant memory from my first year of college that has aided in making me who I am right now. We drove the same route, with a car just as packed as it is now, to arrive for the first time to college. I was so lost on campus, and so oblivious to what would happen the coming year and how much God would teach me and grow me. My roommates were strangers and my room was just a place to put my mounds of stuff. Everyone seemed way older than I, and my significance seemed to be nonexistent on such a large campus with so many college students from all over the world. Terror overcame me as I thought of being on my own, away from the comfort of my family and home.

College classes? “Well, I guess I should stock up on tissue boxes in order to dry the many tears I will shed due to my future pains of school work. If I was overwhelmed in high school at times, I can’t imagine how mind-boggled I will be due to the amount of work.” 
Faith? I was lacking it. I had no idea that while God would not only get me through my school work and give me the strength to get over whatever fears I had, He would also get me through everything else and more. 

I didn’t know that being independent and on my own would be the best thing I would ever experience and exactly what I would need to begin to grow up. It also was beyond my knowledge that my stranger roommates would become my sisters. My dorm room would be come my second home, and many of the girls on my hall and in my building would become lifelong friends. Instead of constantly wishing to be home, my dorm would become another home and my college would become the community I've always wanted.


There were good times and bad times, but mostly great times. Here's a few memories I recorded throughout the year:

~Jazz concerts.. snap snap snap

First week of school with my new roommates:
“I have a confession- I’m Carla and I look like Miley Cyrus.” -Carla
“Well Miley Cyrus sings.” –Kaytee
“If that’s what you call it.” -Carla
“I said she sings, that doesn’t mean it’s a joyful noise.” -Kaytee
“Guys... I have a confession. I like ‘The Climb’.” -Lena

Interesting late night talks..
“There’s jocks, there’s musicians, and then there’s cowboys.”

College students tend to yell out of car windows.. a lot..
“Walking’s good for your legsss!” *all the guys turn and look*

We know our school's anthem.. we really do. (Football Games)

“Flan the fames!! Flan the fames of Liberly!!” -Carla

108 <3
“We haven’t named our room..” “LET’S NAME IT PHILIPPA!”
~Webcamming Carla while sitting next to her

Long nights of studying result in typing random things without knowing...
“ilovepi” –Kaytee
“SHE HAD THOSE BOOTS! I coveted.” –Kaytee

“Is that real?!” “no.” “Carla, I’m so glad you don’t have a moustache!” –Kaytee

~cramming seven girls in Carla's little car



“I want a guy with a little spazz.. I mean snazz.” –Lena
“..Well, Lena wants a skitzo..” –Carla

Such adventures while doing laundry...
“A PENNY! 149 more and YOU CAN DO YOUR LAUNDRY! Don’t use that dryer.. that would be stupid.. and you are noooot stupid!” –some random man at the Laundromat.

Roommate love..
Lena: This is weird. I don’t like it. I don’t want to look at it anymore.
Carla: You’re weird. I don’t like you. I don’t want to look at you anymore.

Our brother dorm singing to us and doing synchronized dance moves



All night of prayer <3

“You can talk about life, you can talk about liberty….. and the pursuit of happiness.”
-Carla

“I did never know you.” –Me. Late nights. Enough said.

The things we put on the room white board..
“They’re climbin in our windows snatchin our people up (Kaytee), so I guess I better hide my kids (Carla).”

“WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING LIKE YOU’RE GIVING BIRTH  TO A HEIFFER.” –Kaytee

~Emily R. getting locked out of her room & us breaking into her room through the window.

~Being in Humble Tip’s music video

~Gold Sequin Hat Guy.. Need I say more?

~SWITCHFOOT CONCERT: touching Jon Foreman’s hand and being way up in the front with awesome friends.

~ROOMMATE DATES <3

~“I hate English I want to beat it up!” to Life in Technicolor

~Rosemother!

~The big red exercise ball. Otherwise known as Bally.

I almost choke to death and Carla says...
~"I feel like I almost died just now, BUT THAT WAS YOU!"

More late night talks with the roommates..
"I would like to put in a work order to remove the maintenance man from my room."

"Guys, I don't mean a juvenile delinquent!" "...you're gonna have to help me spell that." –Late nights with the roommates

"It's people like them that make people believe in evolution.. they look like they came from monkeys!" –Kaytee.. enough said.

"I don't like driving then. The deer come out.. the drunks come out.." –Carla



According to my roommates, I talk in my sleep..
“IT’S 2:07! IT’S 2:07!” “Yes, Lena, it is 2:07." "NO, BUT IT'S 2:07!" "Lena, you won’t remember this tomorrow will you?” “Hm.. *mumble* * fall back asleep*”

CONCERTS: Bluetree, The Almost, Switchfoot, Addison Road, Matt Maher, Tenth Avenue North, Rush of Fools, Downhere, Seabird


~Hall activites & Special Hallmeeting


“Ok, my last story of the night. So, I had a pair of pants…” -Carla

~Intramural Volleyball!! Go Mutants :] 


While registering for classes (Beavers is the last name of the teacher I got stuck with next semester)..
“This is no time for singing.. I HAVE BEAVERS!!” –Me

*banging on the wall* (“hiding” on Carla’s bed)

Easter weekend with amazing friends




The list goes on, but those are just a few. <3 forever memories. 





1 comment: