Monday, May 9, 2011

Relationship Before Service

Tonight was the leadership dedication. RD's, RA's, SLD's, and Prayer Leaders all were prayed over, dedicated, and sent over to their new hall assignments. My initial thoughts going into it were, "Really? This is awful timing. I have two finals and white glove tonight. Awful awful timing." As I sat down and Chris Deitsch began to speak (and that other guy whose name I forget), I realized that while I'm unfocused on school work and cleaning duties, I have been even more unfocused on spiritual things- things that actually matter in my life.
Tonight I was definitely convicted as I listened to Chris Deitsch say that, "just like Esther, maybe we were brought to Liberty to be on leadership in 'such a time as this.'" I was even more convicted when that other guy who spoke reminded us of a message he gave in convocation a month or two ago when he said, "Your relationship with God must come BEFORE your service for God." 
Tonight was the night I realized how incredibly difficult it will be to put my quiet time with God and own personal relationship with God above my relationship with others and serving them in spiritual matters. If I cannot keep up in my own personal life regarding my relationship with God, how can I possibly serve and lead others in their walks with God?
Anyway, I have a feeling this will be something that I will be constantly having to remind myself about throughout the summer, next year, and well.. probably my whole life. I pray that I can dig deep into the Bible this summer and really stay focused on my walk with God so that I can be the best prayer leader I can be next year.

After the leadership dedication service, the leadership team that I'm going to be with next year walked back to the dorm, sat together in a circle, and grabbed hands as we prayed together. It was an incredible moment, to bond with these girls that I hardly know and already feel close to them. It's impossible to explain.. the connection you have with other believers. You already understand each other, because you already have the same God, faith, and ultimate life goals. Every believer is unique in personality, physical looks, ethnic backgrounds, family backgrounds, and life experiences, but can still be brought together in a family bond because of Christ and the same ultimate change He has made in our lives. It's amazing, and I am so excited to be a part of this leadership team next year. I have a feeling God will really be working on me this summer, and I'm pretty nervous to see what exactly will happen in my life to get me to where I need to be. It won't be easy, and it won't always be fun by any means, but the end result with be incredible. I know that God is working the bumps out of my life so that I may be a beautiful clay figure created by Him. It's going to be a long ride. Prayers appreciated :].

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment