Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Chaotic Adventures - Summer Break Begins

So.. Summer.  So far, what consists of the first summer home from college? Well let's see, what do you get when you put together a lack of car, constant rain, confusing detours, a family member getting married in a week and a half, and spending time with all the people I missed while gone? Chaotic adventures. That's what I like to call them anyway.

So a brief (yeah right) play-by-play on the happenings at home so far:

1. Got home Tuesday night.. what do I do my first morning at home? I go to the school I graduated from to help teach the juniors and seniors how to do MLA format for research papers and how to structure an outline and all that stuff (upon request of my high school English and History teacher). I won't lie- I had a TON of fun. I wouldn't put the thought of becoming an English teacher completely behind me.. we'll see..

2. What else of significance... hmm.. well Thursday I was able to spend some time with my brother and talk for a bit, which was needed I think. Friday I spent the day at Bethany's house where we reminisced, made banana bread, youtubed it up (is youtubed even a verb? because it should be), and attempted to watch an old 1930's movie. The perfect way to end the day? A chili cook-off at our church where we tasted tons of different flavors and spices in a variety of church members' original chili. To top that off, I got to see two friends who I hadn't seen for what could amount to forever in our minds while eating the chili. It was precious.

3. Saturday involved a lunch with a few friends from high school, a dangerous yet entertaining drive with a friend (I shall leave her unnamed) who newly has been reacquainted with a car, and a College and Career "Welcome Back" party at John's house where we ate, were merry, and played basketball during which Nick "unintentionally" gauged John's eye out with his finger. Just kidding, it was an accident.. and not really as bad as I make it sound.

4. Sunday was probably my best day back home up until this point. It was exactly what I needed. The first few days were rough without a car, going from being able to walk down the street to see my friends when I want to requesting rides from random people to hopefully see my friends. Up until this point I felt slightly restricted and sensing the changes occurring at home with my sister getting married in less than two weeks, my mom working now, and my grandma staying over our house for the week. It didn't really feel like I was actually home... until Sunday. Sunday I went to my home church where I saw a few of my best friends and heard my pastor of ten years and Bible teacher of two years preach a message on the "Love Chapter" of Corinthians. It was an incredible message and exactly what I needed to hear. God definitely spoke through my pastor and made some things evident in my life which have been hindering me from growing. I definitely thank God for a diligent, faithful, God-fearing pastor who preaches God's word with conviction and tells it how it is with no extra fluff.
After church, I was able to eat lunch with my sister, her fiance, and my brother, and after that was able to spend time with my family at my grandmother's house, which is always a good time. I went to youth group for probably the last time of my life and then went to College and Career, both of which opened my eyes incredibly. In youth group we watched a video by Francis Chan which spoke about having a genuine fear of God in really understand who God is in His holiness and perfection. In College and Career we fellowshipped and shared what we learned this year, along with watching a video about a boy's testimony who had leukemia. I am ashamed by my lack of determination to spread the gospel as this boy had in his last days on earth. I pray to have the same conviction he has in his life and the same passion for people to hear the gospel.

5. Monday was also a wonderful day. What can be better than a day filled with working out through the art of dance, going for a long walk on a damp day, eating good food, talking, and laughing- all with one of my best my friends, Kristen? I can tell you- probably not much can be better. It was all around an awesome day.

6. Today involved house cleaning. Tomorrow (God willing)? More house cleaning. Cool story about this- I prayed, probably not even as much as I should have, about finding temporary work the month I am at home before camp, and what does God do? Provide me work. God is good. There is no other way to put that.


On another note, I cannot believe my sister is getting married in a week and half. What is that? Where has time gone? Why has time gone? Why does time have to go? Where does it even go when it leaves? All questions I ask myself daily... or maybe hourly. I don't think this whole, "sister-wedding" thing has fully hit me, and it probably won't until the day before her wedding, but I can tell you now that I'm guaranteed to be a mess. Prepare to read a blog on this when this event occurs. There will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth. Oh to prepare a speech as the maid of honor.. it's going to be a bumpy ride. If you have any suggestions as to what maids of honor normally write about, please, by all means.. let me know. Because I'm failing in that area. I suppose I should conjure up a list of humorous memories from our childhood and then tell tear-jerking stories about the time she wiped my tears when I skinned my knee (that didn't actually happen, by the way). Oof, maybe I'll even post that as a blog when I come up with it. What if I make something up? That would be interesting, right? "This one time when she saved me from a mob of wild zebras.... It was a precious sister moment."
Well, until next time....


God Bless <3

1 comment:

  1. We're glad to have you home, and I'm so glad you're finding spiritual encouragement here. I think you should go with the wild zebra story for your speech. Or maybe a similarly outrageous tale inspired by a true story (the story of the zebra mob could be the exaggerated account of the time she stepped between you and the neighbor's dog, for example). And please do post it here for all of us to enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete