Friday, January 27, 2012

Arms High, Heart Abandoned

"I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned, in awe of the One who gave it all."
(Hillsong's "The Stand")

This phrase has been ringing through my mind for over a week.
What beauty and praise comes from arms outstretched and hands emptied. Now don't get me wrong- I am by no means a "hand-raiser." I've never grown up in a church that expressed their worship in that way, and to be quite honest I don't feel comfortable raising my arms up in a church setting. In fact, I normally find it distracting.

However, I find such vivid symbolism in this simple action, especially when done in private- just God and me.

It signifies letting go of worldly desires. Letting go of my plans. Letting go of my expectations.
Letting go of myself.



"Heart abandoned"
Society tells us, "Follow your heart."
The Bible tells us that "the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked." (Jeremiah 17:9)
My sinful heart is to be abandoned, giving all of me to Jesus Christ, the One who can purify me fully. Instead of following this sinful heart, I will follow Jesus Christ, whose purity washes me clean. 

I truly am in awe of the One who gave it all. Who else deserves such praise and worship? 

This week is Spiritual Emphasis Week at my school, which we observe during the beginning of every semester. At tonight's service, after singing "Oh How He Loves" and "You're Beautiful" with a stadium full of fellow colleagues and believers (I'm so blessed to go to school with these people), I couldn't help but stand in complete awe, pondering that God notices me.

I struggle with often feeling incapable and helpless. I always have.
I've realized something recently though- I am incapable. I am helpless.

Without Jesus Christ, who am I? 

Who would I be without Him?
I stand amazed that He would notice me, that He does notice me.
He not only notices me, but He loves me.
He not only loves me, but He died for me.
He not only died for me, but He conquered death eternally.
He allows me to speak to Him daily and be spoken to by Him through His Word.
He is involved in my life personally.
He finds worth in me. He gives me purpose.

Insignificant me now has meaning. I'm amazed. I'm in awe.

I stand with arms high and heart abandoned, in awe of the One who gave it all.




"I see you there hanging on a tree
You bled and then you died 

and then you rose again for me.
Now you are sitting on Your heavenly throne
Soon we will be coming home
You’re beautiful, you're beautiful

When we arrive at eternity’s shore

Where death is just a memory and tears are no more
We’ll enter in as the wedding bells ring
Your bride will come together and we’ll sing
You’re beautiful, You're beautiful, You're beautiful"

Phil Wickham

No comments:

Post a Comment