Saturday, April 23, 2011

God Above All Else

God above all else. This is the phrase which haunts me continually and seems to pop up in my mind at random. I guess I would consider this to be my life phrase that I have to repeat in order to stay focused on what really matters for eternity.What is hindering me from fully giving myself to God? What idols consume my time that are unprofitable for my relationship with God? Often I find myself begging God to cleanse my heart so I can fully enjoy the salvation He has given me and completely appreciate His eternal and perfect love.
One verse that comes to mind is Psalm 51: 10-13.

 10  Create in me a clean heart, O God,
         And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
 11 Do not cast me away from Your presence,
         And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. 
 12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation,
         And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.
 13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
         And sinners shall be converted to You. 

I love this verse so much. Throughout elementary all up until high school, we would sing a song based on this verse in our classes and chapel services. I don't think the meaning actually penetrated my heart until recently. Today in chapel, the pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle, Jim Cymbala, spoke, and he used the analogy of "removing all leaven from Jewish homes during Passover" to describe removing the iniquity of sin in our lives. In order to feel the full blessings of God and receive the full joy of salvation, we must eradicate the little, festering sins in our lives which don't even seem to be a big deal. All sin is a big deal. Unfortunately, not all sin is as obvious as murder. What little sins consume my life? What everyday happenings are actually obsessions which hinder me from having the complete and full relationship I can have with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?

Just something that's been on my heart.. for a very very long time.. and probably will continue to be throughout my life. Hope this encouraged you a bit and I hope that God maybe used it in your life somehow.

God bless. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment