Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Updates of Posts Past

Well, after much praying, a decision has been made. The final verdict is that I'll be working at the camp this summer. I have to say, while I'm very very excited about seeing what God will do with this experience, I'm also pretty sad about being away from home for so long. It's definitely going to be different than anything I've ever done in my life.
I think what makes this whole "being away for most of the summer" so difficult is the fact that it's so different. I haven't spent one Fourth of July away from home yet and our family tends to have big get-togethers for the 4th. Honestly, in general all these different changes in life are difficult to adjust to, the new summer plans being just one of them. God has definitely been teaching me to really rely on Him and has been showing me that He is the one complete constant in my life. While people may grow up, change, and move on, God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. It's so incredible that we can have an unchanging, all-knowing God who will always be in our lives. Understanding this is vital in being able to fully trust God with our decisions and relationships.
God has also opened my eyes to the fact that I must know what/who it is that I love the most. Matthew 10:37 says, "He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of me." Yes, we should love our family with an extreme love (and everyone else), but when we put them above God, we aren't loving God the most. I love my family and friends and would do anything for them, but by choosing to not serve Him because I'm scared to be away from home or missing out on the comforts of relaxing at home with my family, I am loving myself and my family/friends more than God. Whether I like to admit it or not, that's idolatry. Idols don't have to be little statues or even harmful habits; idols can be hidden in the things that may be the most harmless and innocent in our lives- the things or people we love the most. To put my family and friends before serving God is selfish. That's really what it all comes down to. I think that's what made the decision to go away for the summer so difficult- realizing how selfish I am and how attached I am to people.
In the end, what I definitely know is that either way, this experience will be a blessing. I've never done anything like this- a full-time service for an extended period of time. I think that for most of my life I assumed it wasn't really my responsibility to be involved in ministry, and it seems like I'm not the only one who has/had that mindset. Is it just me or does a majority of the church just hover through life, viewing ministry as set apart for only pastors and deacons? I know that while I would not state that verbally, that's definitely the overall perspective I had on ministry up until about a year or two ago. Ministry isn't just for leadership, it's for everyone who goes by the name of "Christian." C.S. Lewis' step son, Douglas Gresham, came and spoke at our college this past week, and one thing he said that was interesting was that if we call ourselves "Christians," we must either "change our conduct or change our name." If we are part of the body of Christ, to represent the term "Christian" appropriately we must show in our lives that we are dedicated to God in every aspect of our life. To live an impacting and legitimate Christian life, we must serve in every part of our lives, love in sacrificial ways, pray in complete belief that God will use us, and completely give ourselves to God.

Another Update: I said in one of my previous posts about how I missed the opportunity to serve because of sleeping in. I'm happy to say that this Saturday I didn't miss out! I had an incredible time meeting and talking to some of the residents at the nursing home. It's so awesome to get to know such wise and amazing people who have lived through so much but sadly are somehow often neglected. It's also awesome to see the smiles on their faces when you come back a second time and they see that you didn't forget about them. While it is an incredible experience, it definitely is heart-breaking to be there. Some are very upbeat and easy to talk to, while others are depressed and in desperate need for love and care. The conditions of the home aren't bad and they seem to be taken care of well, but it must be incredibly difficult none-the-less. So, I highly recommend that if you get the chance to visit the elderly in a nursing home- do it! You will make wonderful friendships with wonderful people. It really doesn't take much to encourage them and love them, and their smiles make it all worth it.

P.S. Yay new phone!

Ok well, hope you enjoyed those little excerpts of my life. I love you all and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment