Friday, February 25, 2011

Many thoughts. Many questions.

So, right now, many things are going on in my head. Let's begin, shall we?


1. Well according to Jung Typology Test (Human Metrics), my personality is ENFJ.
56% Extrovert 12% Intuitive 33% Feeling 44% Judging
According to the "Jung Career Indicator," a few of my possible career choices should be Counseling, Psychology, Education, Management, and Politics.
Interesting =P. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? I have many of those.


2. Do you ever feel like you're being pulled in eight different directions, and you have no idea which way to go? Any path that you choose will impact your life in dramatically different ways, but which is the right one? That's where I'm at right now. I know God is calling me to serve, and I know He's calling me to serve now and get involved as soon as I can (which is now), but when I've found an opportunity to do that I have millions of cons screaming in my face, discouraging me from doing so, but an equal amount of pros as well. So what do I do? Do I take the path that could potentially end in blessing, service, spiritual growth, and learning but keeps me away from home and prevents me from making much money to fund college? Or do I take the path that will keep me comfortably at home, working and making a decent amount of money, and only possibly finding a way to serve back in my home church (since it seems that the opportunities aren't as wide as I would hope).
To be more specific, I've been offered a job at a Christian camp that's pretty far from my home. It's an incredible opportunity to grow, serve, and lead those younger than me. Unfortunately, I'm away from home five months at a time here at college, and my parents aren't too thrilled about being away from home more than I already am. To be honest, I don't especially love the idea of being away from home even more than I already am, but I also know that this could be a door that God's opening. If it is what God wants me to do, to not accept it would be completely shutting myself out from an incredible blessing of God. But how do I know if it's what I should do or if I'll be used in some significant way in my home town at work or in my church?
So hopefully you now get the general gist of my pickle. The best part is, I have to decide within two days or so. Talk about pressure.

So, if you're reading this, prayers would definitely be appreciated. If you're reading this, would like to pray, and also maybe have some input, that would also be fabulous. So, let me know what you think via email or commenting on here or something. Thanks!


3. I have come to the conclusion that I rely way too much on technology. My phone? It's kaput. Touch screens? They fail. So, anyone who may be trying to text me, I can see that you text me, I just can't respond.  I can, however, receive phone calls. So by all means- phone call away (when I'm not in class). It's crazy how disconnected I am from the rest of the world without a facebook and a working phone (and it hasn't even been 4 hours since my phone's been failing). What has the world come to? Really now? And here I am.. blogging about it. *sigh*. I'm not really sure what else to say about this whole thing.
So yes, this has been quite an eventful day. But wait- there's more (don't worry, this one's actually happy and awesome)!


4. Last night I was reading through my devotions when I came across a commonly known passage. Even people who don't read the Bible know the story, or at least have vaguely heard it. So, as you can see, I went into it knowing it wouldn't be anything new. Well, you know those moments when you hear something that you've heard a million times, but this time it comes at you in a new twist and all seems to tie together perfectly? Well, I had one of those moments. So here it is.

                   Matthew 14
  • In verses 1-12, the chapter starts off explaining what the surrounding circumstances are. John the Baptist, Jesus' forerunner, friend, and cousin, is killed for speaking against Herod's sin. This was the first thing to stuck out to me. The integrity of John the Baptist. He was willing to tell the truth in love, even to a tetrarch (which, according to dictionary.com is a ruler of 1/4 of the country). He knew the risk of speaking out against a man with power, but he did it because it was right, no matter the cost.
  • After Jesus finds out that his cousin has been killed, He wants to be alone (vs 13-14). As he goes away from the crowd to be alone, the multitude of people still finds and follows him and instead of sending them  away to be alone, Jesus "was moved with compassion." He doesn't just leave it at feeling compassion either- He acts on it and actually is involved in their lives and heals them. That really struck me. Jesus Christ, the Son of God and the Creator of the universe, served humans when he initially wanted to be left alone. He loved and gave up his time when most of us would have probably chosen to be alone anyway. How much do I love? Am I willing to inconvenience myself temporarily so that others may be encouraged, brought to Christ, and served? 
  • Soon after this, Jesus' disciples finally wish to send them away, but Jesus still says, "They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat." I realized a couples things from this.
    1. There is no limit serving others. Jesus didn't say "Ok, I healed you already. Go home." He refuses to send them home, but instead even wishes to feed them. 5,000 + people? To us that would be impossible to even do. Well, this just sets it all up for God to be glorified even more through this seemingly-impossible situation. 
    2. Jesus says to his disciples, "YOU give them something to eat." Jesus directly involves his disciples to serve. Jesus does not just serve and leave it at that; Jesus wants his children to be proactive in such service as well. Others before self.
  •  5,000 + women and children were fed. Incredible. There's really not much else that can be said about that. 
  • In vs. 25, I like how it says "He went to them walking on water," all nonchalantly. Because that's just it- with God, things like that are possible. In fact, they're normal. It's incredible. In vs 26-33, Peter requests that Jesus commands Him to come on the water, but when Jesus does, Peter falls. Do I ask God to lead me into His will and then freak out when the time comes that He reveals that will to me? "Oh you of little faith, why did you doubt?" Why do we doubt God when we know that HE has called us and it's HE that will get us through it?


Well folks, it's past my time to be awake again. It's been fun. Thanks for reading.. input is greatly appreciated :]. Hope you all have a blessed weekend and wonderful new week next week!
God Bless!
     

    2 comments:

    1. 1. I love the Myer-Briggs Personality test. I'm an INFJ. In my experience, the descriptions of the 16 types are pretty accurate.
      2. Tough decision! It's totally between you and God, but here are my thoughts: If you think this is somewhere God is leading and that you can joyfully serve him away from home, go for it! It sounds like a great opportunity. On the other hand, an opportunity does not necessarily equal a calling, so don't do it out of obligation. And if your parents really want you at home, God would rather you honor them than disobey them in attempt to serve Him. He never calls people to break His commandments. And being a servant often isn't as exciting as we might think. Rest assured that either way, God will use you if you let Him.
      3. Sorry about your phone! It is amazing how much we rely on technology.
      4. Great insights! It makes me realize how my own compassion for others often falls short. :(

      I'll be praying for your wisdom and peace about your decision! Also, have you checked into Christian camps that are closer to home? Maybe that would be a good compromise.
      <3 Manda

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hey Manda, thanks for the input! My parents aren't against the camp at all, but I think they just would rather me be home since I'm away at school a lot already, and I understand that. So it's not like they've said I can't or anything, so it's not an issue of disobedience.

      Thanks for the prayers! I have looked at camps closer to home, but all the ones I've seen are volunteer and I definitely need one that will be able to pay me somewhat (to pay for college).

      ReplyDelete