Tuesday, November 20, 2012

In the beginning (3rd grade)...

Reading through old stories, poems and journals I have written is absolutely PRIME.

If you want a good laugh, read a story written by an 8 year old about a haunted bathroom stall.
The story involves lots of exclamation points, a hidden romance that the reader doesn't know about (the author knew though.. oh the author knew..), an extensive use of the word "Yikes" and many trap doors that lead no where.

Yes, that is an accurate portrayal of the story I wrote 13 years ago. I hold the hard copy in my hand at this very moment, illustrations created on "Paint" and all. My use of quotation marks is a little bit embarrassing, but I'd say for an eight-year-old, my grammar was pretty impressive.
Well done, 3rd grade teacher! I may have disliked you deeply but at least I knew my grammar!

Oh man, 3rd grade. The days when cubbies were where we stuck our backpacks, we cleaned down our desks with shaving cream, recess involved barbies, cops & robbers and tire swings, and my crush was the "popular boy" .. the one with the spikey hair and cool sneakers.
Yeah, third grade. My first steps as a writer. I mean, I haven't even published a book since then ;] (yes, I sold that baby to lots of folks.. $.50 to each person, I made a pretty hefty paycheck of $5).
It's amazing to see what little interests God gave me growing up that have led to deciding what my major in college would be and what steps He made me take to prepare myself for whatever it is my future holds.

Who knew that 13 years later, I would be at college with friends that I knew since 4th grade and that our dreams would be unfolding all at the same time. Remember those days when 20 seemed so far away? The days when 20-year-olds seemed like scary adults who had it all together and knew life? Well the day has arrived. Except we don't have life all together and we're pretty far from ever really KNOWING life. We just pretend. Either way, now is the time we've dreamed of... so let's make it count.
I don't know what to do with this writing obsession of mine, but something's going to come of it. The question is what. If it's just my famous (haha.. famous among 3rd graders and my grandma) bathroom-stall story, then I guess that's fine, because it's brought a lot of laughs (someday I'll post it on here for you all to LOL at. It's just not the same outside of it's original form and Paint illustrations to go with it, though).

I pray that God will use this desire He's placed in me for something He wants and that anything I write touches the heart of at least one person. I guess we'll find out.
Until then, I'm going to keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment