Monday, January 7, 2013

Love of Everything Les Mis

Despite my extreme love for everything Les Miserables, I have failed at blogging about the recent movie. Yes, I'm surprised too. So, literature and theater freaks, I hope this post finds you well.

I am going to start off by saying that the movie was absolutely brilliant and beautiful. I had extremely high expectations, and I was pleased that the movie did not let me down at all.
  • The filming- incredible.
  • The cast- perfect.
  • The interpretation of the Broadway and book- spot on.
  • The music/singing- beautiful.
I was both moved and impressed by the director's accomplishment. I believe it's the same man who directed, The King's Speech. Am I correct? If so, this director knows emotion. He gets it.

The story of Les Miserables may be one of the most beautiful works of literature ever written. Jean Valjean's initial condition and lifestyle of thievery is dramatically changed when he is shown grace, mercy and God's love by a humble bishop. One act of kindness changes a man's heart forever, pushing him to show the same type of love and mercy to all who cross his path. Valjean's character is a masterpiece, his person painting the portrait of a good man.When he takes in Fantine's child at her death, he has the opportunity to really know long-term love. Cosette is his blessing, and he must protect the man she loves so that she may have a future full of love (since we all know her 'heart is full of love').



I absolutely LOVE the song "One Day More" because of the way it ties the entire story into one song. Marius and Cosette's love, Valjean's fleeing from Javert, Enjolras's battle cry, Javert's intention of shutting up the rebels and the Thenardier's dirty motives even in times of war. So good. But then again, I love the entire soundtrack. I mean, Red and Black... so incredibly catchy. I Dreamed a Dream? Powerfully heart wrenching. Do You Hear the People Sing? Motivational and patriotic. ALL OF IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL. I can't stand it.

I can't even really cover everything.. there is just too much.

I heard numerous reviews that Russel Crowe and Amanda Seyfried bombed their singing parts and expected some pretty pitchy, awful vocals from them going into the film. Honestly, I thought they did a fantastic job. Seyfried's voice in general is not my favorite but that doesn't mean she did a bad job. Crowe, however, I really liked. His vocals weren't operetta, but it fit his character and his voice was on pitch, masculine and powerful.
Of course, we all know Hugh Jackman OWNED his part in every way shape and form. So much emotion. So much passion. Beautiful vocals. Incredible acting. Jean Valjean truly comes to life. Anne Hathaway, however short her part, was beautiful in this film. She was one that I was slightly worried about at first, but she completely removed any doubt I had about her being able to sing. Her vocals were absolutely chilling, her passion spilling out into her songs, and her rendition of Fantine was fantastic.
I was absolutely blown away by Aaron Tveit who played Enjrolras. His performance was incredible and his voice was perfection. While I love Marius's character and though Eddy Redmayne fit the part well, I wasn't a huge fan of his voice. He was still fantastic overall, but I definitely preferred Tveit's performance.
The Thenardier's are pretty obnoxious and dirty characters to begin with, but Helena Bonham Carter and Sasha Baron Cohen NAILED the part. To a tee. Hysterical performance.

Can I just say, Samantha Barks? Fantastic. My heart. Ouch. So good.

http://www.lesmis.com/




There legitimately is so much to cover, but basically... if you aren't opposed to musicals, love classy films, appreciate powerful music and plot and are interested in history- this movie will blow you away.

No comments:

Post a Comment