Friday, January 4, 2013

Boston Love

There's nothing like ringing in the New Year by spending the day in Boston. Ok, it wasn't exactly ringing it in, per say, but January 2nd is pretty close.

When I went away to school in the South, I think I tried to convince myself that I would somehow realize that I was a southern girl at heart. I always romanced the South in my mind, making it a place of country bliss. It's like there's some sort of syndrome where you want to run wild and free away from your roots the moment you leap over the fence. Well, needless to say, my whole adventure seemed to produce opposite emotions. The distance and culture difference not only opened my eyes to my love for the North but also seemed to blow up my northern heart into a giant, Boston-shaped sun ray. Seriously though, something snapped in me. I have taken my amazing New England for granted.

 
Now, I can't get enough. The sharp Boston accents, the fast-paced environment, professionals and classy folks, the rich history, the small New England towns nearby, the sweeping trees, the majestic mountains of the far North, the wiry winters (though bitterly cold and easily frustrating), the airy summers, the breath-taking foliage in autumn and spring's fresh scent in the nipping April air. It's all so perfect. It's like a romantic dream dripped in history and drenched in class.



Honestly, Bostonians and, well, New Englanders in general, are so very misunderstood. No, we're not cold, grumpy folks with no sense of family and lacking in hospitality. We're not mistrusting brutes. We're street savvy with wise minds. We love those close to us with a passion, but don't leave our remarks for when you turn your back. We're honest. We're friendly, but you'll hear it how it is. No fluff. And I can tell you, I think I've just about HAD it with fluff (not marshmallow fluff.. that stuff is heavenly).Especially in churches. But that's another story for another time.

Now don't get me wrong, the South has it's charms and beauties as well, I just happen to be partial to the realism that I believe exists in the North.

There's beauty in reality that I think people miss on a daily basis.


Life is beautiful, and I'm proud of where I've grown up. The Boston area is the first place my parents (and all of my relatives for that matter) experienced in the United States, but it hasn't been the last. I'm so thankful for the memories that are cued in my mind when I'm surrounded by the New England folk, and I'm thankful that the memories are fond and beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment