Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Stranger's Impact

Today was one of those days, but it also was one of those days. I don't know if you know what I mean, but, if you don't, no fear. I will explain.

"One of those days." You know- that day where you just want to go home and cuddle with someone who loves you.. and get hugs and lots of them. That day when you wish responsibilities didn't exist and you could just enjoy your life when and how you wanted. That day when all you want to do is stay in your pajamas all day, watch movies and sip your favorite drink. That day when you can't do any of those things. That day when you feel so alone. One of those days.

And then something happened that made it "one of THOSE days." You know- that day when you can't help but see God moving in your life. That day when you're completely encouraged and immersed by the love of God. That day when you feel cared for by a complete stranger.

So, I had been having "one of those days" and was evidently (and embarrassingly) emotional as I walked through the main hallway of our biggest academic building on campus. Worst feeling ever. Everyone sees that your eyes are awkwardly puffy, and it usually just results in people avoiding eye contact with you because it's awkward to see someone cry (especially if you don't know them). I already hate crying in front of people, mind you, so this was just not a fun experience.
As I walked through the hallway, avoiding all individuals, I felt a tap on my shoulder. "Are you ok?" A total stranger who I happened to awkwardly  make eye contact with earlier had turned around to make sure I was ok. Me. I don't know him, and he cared.

I was really confused at first because I was trying to figure out if I knew him or something, but I didn't. I was already over-thinking life, so a total stranger asking me about my feelings kind of threw me off a little bit. I responded with an uncomfortable, "Uh.. oh yeah, I'm alright. Just a little stressed," and threw in a little forced smile. "Is it school? Or something back home?" He asked some other things but I definitely was not all with it, so I can't exactly remember. "I can't really talk about it," I told him, "but just stuff. Thanks though." "Well, can I pray for you?" ...How do you even say no to that? So, of course I told him that he could. "Can I pray with you right now?" So, you guessed it, he pulled me to the side in the middle of the building, during the the rush hour of the hallways, placed his hand on my shoulder and prayed for me right there. Then he walked away, and we went on with our days.

It was legitimately the most awesome act of kindness I have ever experienced from any stranger in my entire life. I know it seems miniscule, but it mattered to me. In that moment of despair, I remembered that God is with me. I bet this guy didn't know how much that encouraged me, but it did. It reminded me that I am not alone and that God places people in our path who care about us, even if it's just for a moment. When that guy put his hand on my shoulder and started to pray, it was as if Jesus himself had his hand on my shoulder telling me that it would be all right.

I thank God for Christians like him who show the love that they claim to believe, and I pray that I will be that random encourager in a stranger's day. The stranger they will remember, just as I will always remember this stranger. If only we knew what a kind word means to someone and acted on this knowledge. If only we cared enough. If only we remember how Christ loves us. If only we reverberated that love to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment