Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Live the Gospel

Do you know how many posts I've started that I haven't finished yet? A lot. I'll get to them eventually- I promise. For now, I'm going to write what God taught me tonight during my Jesus time (which was the best part of my day, by the way. EXACTLY what I needed, as always).

I have been reading in 1 Corinthians, which has been absolutely incredible. Chapter 3 speaks powerfully on God's work vs. man's work and the necessity for us to rely on Him to grow people (not us). In chapter 4, Paul talks about being faithful stewards of whatever opportunities and talents God has given us (everything we are and have is from Him and for Him). Chapter 5-7 focus a lot on purity, dealing with issues between other believers (brethren in the church) and marriage, while chapter 8 goes into the whole "stumbling block" topic (a favorite topic in churches).

Tonight, I read in 1 Corinthians 9, and it was beautiful. The first part involves not being a hypocrite (vs. 1-18). Basically, verse 14 sums it all up:
"Even so the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should live the gospel."
Am I practicing what I preach? Am I living the gospel? What does it mean to LIVE the gospel?
The gospel: the good news that, although we are sinners and deserve hell, Jesus Christ made a way for us to be with him in heaven. He voluntarily came to earth (leaving His throne) in the form of a human being to die on a cross in humiliation and then rise from the dead three days later, triumphing from the grave. GRACE and MERCY.
Am I living GRACE, MERCY and LOVE?
Am I living SACRIFICE?
Am I living HOPE?
Am I living the gospel?

Verse 19 then basically defines the entire Christian life:
"For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a SERVANT to ALL, that I might win the more..."
True beauty and sacrifice. In my freedom, am I being a servant to others, showing them Christ & winning them into His love?
Verse 27- Live above reproach and as an example.

My prayer is that Jesus Christ will do these things in me. My prayer is that Jesus Christ will teach me to live the gospel, to serve in my freedom and to be above reproach.

No comments:

Post a Comment