Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Lebanon Trip- Part 2

Week Two

Sunday, July 15th, 2012
"I find that there are things I love about Lebanese culture and things I cannot stand. For instance, I love how close everyone is here and how much love there is, but with that sort of relationship there comes an abundance of expectations. I also love how much of a oneness of a culture there is here. As Grace once said on our trip seven years ago: "It's all about food and marriage here." That could not be more true. Those are the topics of choice here.. and maybe they throw in some politics, too. One aspect of the culture that I find overwhelming is the fact that, due to this openness of culture, there is a huge lacking in the privacy area. People sort of just walk in, and then if you don't offer them food incessantly until they accept it, you are a bad host. I'm not saying there isn't beauty to the hospitality, but it definitely takes getting used to."

"I've decided that I'm not wearing any makeup while I'm here, and if I do, I'm barely going to put on any. All of the Lebanese women my age think I look younger with no make-up? Good. That means I don't look like a plastic person. I'm not saying it's wrong to wear make-up, but I definitely have issues with it when you don't look like yourself anymore."

"Man. The Catholic church stuffs the mind of hungry people with the idea that we're still under the thumb of the law. Isn't that the opposite of what the entire New Testament teaches?"

"I just came back from church and it was beautiful. Believers all over the world, worshiping the Lord together in unity. The man preaching (who also was related to me) spoke from Romans 12:1-2 on God transforming us to do His will. I understood bits and pieces, but the formal Arabic is always difficult for me. At church I met a guy from Arizona named Caleb who has been traveling with OM (Operation Mobilization) throughout the Middle East and passing out literature."

"Taunt Farida's sister is a believer. She came to church and then came to visit Teta, and her and her son-in-law who is a pastor in Egypt, prayed fervently over Teta's leg and it was beautiful. At church they sang "All Hail the Power of Jesus Name" and "I Surrender All" in Arabic."
Monday, July 16th, 2012
"Yesterday was a really fun day. After lunch, I went to Taunt Jacko's (my dad's cousin) to use the internet, so I got to check and send emails to family and friends back home. I'm meeting so many people who knew all of my uncles when they were little. So, while I was at Taunt Jacko's, Maha (who turns out is my cousin), Matthew and Mark came and picked me up, and then we went to their house and then to the jnanee ("garden".. it's a hang out place in the town). After we went and ate dinner in Saida (Sidon). Then was a party in the town square where we met up with our "group" (the Lebanese people our age from all over the world mixed with a few people from the town), and I did the Debke (Lebanese folk dance) in Lebanon for the first time in my life and it was so fun! Then around 1 a.m. we went to Matthew's house with the group, hung out, played random games like "telephone," "truth or dare," and some game where we meowed at people. We stayed there till about 3 a.m. (cause like I said, this culture is nocturnal)."

"Tonight was a fun, but crazy night. I hung out at the house with Teta until 3 p.m. (which, I'm not superstitious, but I do believe in the power of prayer. Taunt Farida's sister prayed over Teta's leg yesterday, and now Teta's leg is significantly better. As in, she doesn't need to use the walker anymore and isn't in pain when she stands up, sits down or walks. PRAISE GOD!) and then Matthew and Maha came and picked me up. We stopped at some people from the town's house (they're all cousins and each family lives on a different floor of the building, which is really common in Lebanon. Extended family's usually all live in one building). One of the guys loves Maha. The other one just loves all women. To clear the air, there are no men that I am interested in here. That should put to rest an rumors that may begin to form. Anyway, later at night we went to one of the guy's in the town's house for a genuine Lebanese party.. as in, people actually got up and did the debke. It was pretty legitimate. We left around 2 a.m. because there was some obnoxiousness going on and then went back to Matthew's where I got to skype with Mama and Baba! P.S. After dealing with a lot of obnoxious guys recently, I would just like to say that I want a guy who loves me because he knows me and loves me. Not just because he thinks I'm pretty."
 Tuesday, July 17th, 2012
 "I woke up to Teta being utterly freaked out that I was out till 3 a.m. and how she was imagining me dead and all that. Once I talked to her about it and explained that we just are sitting at the house because that's when people see each other in this country, and that I skyped Baba at 3 a.m. and he didn't mind, then she felt better. Taunt Farida and I have some great talks, and she even told me all about her and Khaloo (Uncle) Said met and it was cute. I hope however I meet my future husband is cute and memorable like that."

"Today was a great day. Around 8 p.m., Maha, Mark and Youssef (from Quebec) picked me up and we went to Matthew's house. Then after that we went to some place that sells menaeesh and Matthew's two Muslim friends from college came with us. So then we went to the jnanee to hang out. Somehow, the subject of God and the Bible came up, and Matthew and I got to end up having about an hour discussion with his two Muslim friends about the gospel and legitimately got to share it with them in detail. It was incredible. I was afraid to talk about it with them at first, but I'm so glad that God gave us courage, because not only did they enjoy the conversation and ask a ton of questions, but one of them also is very interested in reading the Bible. It seriously was absolutely amazing. If that is all that happens this whole trip, the seed that was planted was so worth it. Dear Lord, use us to touch their hearts and open their eyes to the truth. Bring people in their lives to mentor them and guide them to YOU alone. After the conversation, one of the guys said that now he feels really close to us. Use these relationships built for YOUR glory. Thank you for that opportunity to be useful for You! AH =). After that, we hung out and stargazed. Today, I can cross "saw a shooting star in Lebanon" off of my list."
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
"I'm legitimately still so happy that we got to share the gospel with those two guys yesterday. Their interest was so encouraging, and their hearts are really searching. We've been eating like vegetarians beacause they're worried about the meat here. Mmjudra (lentils), Baamy (okra), Mnezzlee (I'm not really sure what this.. egg plant?), Lubee b'zaat (green beans cooked in tomato sauce and olive oil), fresh fruits and veggies, etc. I like it though. I'm eating healthier and losing some of my college weight!"

"Feeling sort of blah today. I don't even know why. The heat mixed with missing home, mixed with a lot of emotions from seeing where Gidoo (grandpa- pronounced "Jih-doo") first started the church, maybe. I guess I feel like, even with the friends I've made, I still don't really fit in. My Arabic is horrible, and I'm just a little bit awkward sometimes. *and then the journal entry continues into a pity party.. so I will spare you from that, I guess there's always those days*."
Thursday, July 19th, 2012
"Today was an interesting day. I woke up, took a shower and then Maha and Matthew picked me up. We hopped from house to house, ate lunch and then by around 8ish, I was finally feeling in a better mood, and there was a party at Maha's house. Some guys decided to bring alcohol after Maha asked them not to, and so naturally, she was upset. Then she owned and kicked them out. I was all proud of her. Drama, drama, drama."

"So, random news- one of my RAs for next year isn't coming back to school, and they want me to interview for it. I'm not sure what's going on, but I guess we'll find out. Lord, if you want me to be an RA, show me your will. Please have me where I will be most affective."
Friday, July 20th, 2012
"There are a lot of random scares going on here. There have been shootings in Saida (Sidon), which is right near us. Thousands of refugess from Syria are flooding into Lebanon, so I'm not sure what that means. Also, last night, Ramadan (the Muslim time of fasting) started and it will go on for a month. Everything in Saida is closed for it."

"I forgot to tell about how on Wednesday, I saw the chapel in the current church. The chapel is where the church initially met when Gidoo was the pastor. It made me tear up a bit cause I wish I knew him, but it was crazy to picture him there preaching and Baba as a little boy. Wow, I love Baba so much, and I'm blessed to have him as my father."

"Today I ate figs and grapes from the trees/vines on our land. All of the fresh food is so delicious."

"Right now, I can hear the Muslims chanting things over the loud speakers. I can't really understand the muffled words, but I'm guessing it's for Ramadan. I don't think I am afraid of Muslims, whereas I think I was before. I definitely see all of their chains. So little surety. One thing that my Muslim friend said to me when we shared the gospel with him was, "How can anyone know where they're going when they die??" It made me sad. When we shared the gospel, he asked, "So are you saying that all Muslims are going to hell?" Matthew and I got sort of quiet, cause it's awkward to say "yes," but then we said, "The Bible says that anyone who doesn't accept Jesus Christ's gift is going to hell. So to answer your question... yes. But it's nothing personal. >_> .. <_< .. >_>.." Hahaha, they laughed. They understood we weren't trying to be jerks, but simply preaching the truth. I used Abe's "stick-figure on paper" analogy to explain our inability to understand the mind of God. I think it pretty much hit the nail on the head, and I'm glad.""T

"Today wasn't bad. Went and visited a group of people with Teta. Due to my nausea, Taunt Farida had me drink straight up lemon juice for my stomach. Teta, Taunt Farida and I had lots of interesting conversations- about Baba's oldest brother who died, of Gidoo's calling into ministry and just family stuff. Then Matthew came and got me and we went to the jnanee. Tonight, I helped Matthew and Joe (another guy from the church) brainstorm for a Bible lesson for tomorrow's AWANA. I brought up the idea about doing something regarding how faith and works go together, but we'll see what God leads them to do tomorrow. I told them my story about how God showed me to come here, and I think it helped remind me. Lord, help me in these relationships that I'm building, and keep me useful while I'm here. If it's your will for me to stay for the Bible Conference (Mutamar) please make it happen, but if you want me to be an RA, please make that happen. If both could be possible, it would be awesome!"
Saturday, July 21st, 2012
"This morning I helped at AWANA a bit and just did what I could despite my failure at speaking. I gave a short testimony (which Matthew translated) about how not to get stuck in the motions of a Christian home, but to make it personal and use growing up in a Christian home as an advantage to learn as much as possible now so that God can use you in ways you don't expect. I had issues tying all of my thoughts together, but hopefully it made sense."

"We ate lunch at Mary's house and it was yummy (grape leaves, kefta, etc.). Now I just took a two hour nap and feel extremely nauseous (I usually do from napping, though). Tonight is youth group and I think they're watching Fireproof. It'll be pretty interesting to watch that in Lebanon. I keep thinking about my Muslim friend and his total search for the truth. His confusion as to who God is. Dear God, I'm not sure if you're going to do more or if this is why you've brought me here. For now, thank you for what you've taught me and how you've used me for your glory.

1. You've taught me to listen and to observe.
2. You've helped me to build relationships and to be a light.
3. You've allowed me to help Teta Mary and Aunt Houda however they've needed me.
4. You've opened up conversations with multiple people about God's Word, truth, religion and controversial subjects.
5. You've allowed me to be a witness to my Muslim friend.
6. You've helped me to meet numerous believers from all over the world.
7. You've humbled me regarding speech and leadership, and you've shown me how to be an unknown servant.
8. You've allowed me to learn and grow in this foreign country and are helping me to excel  in Arabic.
I love you, Jesus."

"Youth group was good! We watched Fireproof, and I translated in broken Arabic the entire movie for this girl in the youth group who doesn't understand English. It was kind of fun! After youth group, we hung out with the youth group kids at the mall in Saida where they ate McDonald's and made fun of my Arabic. Then went to the jnanee, and I (of course) got sheesh tawok (a Lebanese chicken garlic wrap thing.. it's my absolute favorite). Then Joe (from church), Matthew, Maha and I played this game with fruit cards called ... uh. Balli Walli? No. Halli Galli. Something like that. Roger (Matthew's Australian cousin) joined in with us too, and I stunk at the game. And then they made fun of me for about a half an hour about how I can't count (I hate math and it was 1 a.m... what else can I say?). We played Go-Fish and talked. So much laughing that happened tonight. It was awesome!"

No comments:

Post a Comment