Wednesday, March 13, 2013

My life in a disney analogy

I feel like my entire life has been me struggling with God, telling Him I trust Him but not actually letting go of my desires. I don't think I've even really passed this point, and I wonder sometimes if I ever will. I pray that God will give me enough faith to take Him at His word and just go with His will or wait on Him when His will has yet to be revealed. Why is it so hard? The moment I give something up to God, I refuse to let go of something else.
It's like this crazy cycle of  Peter-syndrome: [[when Jesus called Peter to walk on the water, Peter did at first, until he saw the intensity of the waves. So maybe we've never actually physically attempted to walk on water, but in reality, God calls us to walk out on the waters of faith daily. Like Peter, I more than often sink as my eyes shift away from Jesus and towards the waves.]]

I don't normally like to compare my relationship with God to Disney movies, but what immediately comes to mind in this situation is the phrase, "Do you trust me?"

"Do you trust me?"
Ok, before I get a bunch of angry-mob-comments about me comparing Aladdin to God, I obviously do not think Aladdin is even on the same spectrum as God.
This is simply an analogy, so keep your Jesus jukes on the shelf for next time.

Anyway, sometimes I feel like Jasmin (not just because of our common Middle Eastern ethnicity.. but that's also a reason) (...also, I do not support her clothing choices.. sorry, I'm not about that).
It's like God is telling me to go on a magic carpet ride (ok, I can't help but laugh out loud while writing this... this analogy is ridiculous...), but I'm often hesitant and sometimes miss out on the wonders of His glory (I'm still laughing at the nerdiness that is this analogy...)
("Take you wonder by wonder, over, sideways and under on a magic carpet ride... a whole newwww worlddddd..."
)
.
Disclaimer: let's also just ignore the fact that Aladdin lies a lot, and God NEVER lies or lets us down.. but that's not the point I'm trying to make.

Bet you won't be able to watch Aladdin without thinking about this now, right?
Mission accomplished.

Really though, if there's one thing I've learned from all of this, it's that when I give God complete control of my life and decisions, I never have regrets. I may not immediately be "happy" by the world's standards (such misconceptions of happiness), but I am never sitting in regret. Ever. The only time I ever have regrets or that "unsettled" feeling is when I am fighting God's will.

I don't want to live in the regret of lacking in faith, wondering what my life would be like if I just went out onto the magic carpet (haha) or walked out onto the water.
Lord, give me the faith to take risks in Your will and to wait, even if it means being uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment