Sunday, March 10, 2013

Fresh Eyes

I met my nephew today, and it was more incredible than I anticipated.

I remember when my sister used to dream of the day she would find the man God wanted her to be with. I remember when she watched her friends getting married and having children, and I remember seeing that longing in her.
Now it's here.
God has blessed her with an awesome husband and a beautiful baby boy.

I don't think I've been happier for anyone in my entire life.
I don't think I have ever loved a baby this much in my entire life, either.

Today, I held Kyle, and he looked up at me in all of his innocence, soaking in the world around him.
I wonder what he sees when he sees the world?

I don't know what he's thinking, but I know that I'm thinking that I serve a powerful and beautiful God who forms the most incredible beings and creatures. I serve a God who hand-makes humans to be unique and individual. There is no other copy of this Kyle. There is no other me. There is no other you.

As he looked up at me, straining to keep his eyes open, my heart worshipped God. I don't think I really even knew it at the time fully, but it happened. I was in awe at this new human. It's not like I've never seen a baby before, but I don't know. This is different. It's my sister's son... and he's here.
Sometimes, the Lord's provision has nothing to do with finances, health or safety.
Sometimes, the Lord provides people. 


Sometimes, the Lord provides little people to tug at your heart and make you thankful for life.
Sometimes, the Lord provides innocence and beauty.
Fresh eyes.

Thankfulness for the past. Appreciation of the present.
Hope for the future.

How do newborns spark this sort of awakening?

All I know is that God is a good God and that amidst a world of chaos and darkness, He provides peace and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment