Monday, December 17, 2012

Home is Wherever I'm With You

The high I get from coming home never really gets old. There's nothing really like it-- that feeling of anticipation as you travel home, eagerly awaiting the people who have seen you grow up, the town that has been the stage of your childhood and the houses that hold dear memories.

It's not that I dislike school or hate being away from home. Actually, I really like school (when it's not stressing me out), and traveling and trying new things is exciting for me. However, no matter where I go, who I meet or what new things I experience, I still resolve that there really is no place like home. Other than the U.S., I've been to (officially) five countries, and within the U.S. I've been to pretty much all of the East Coast states and 3-4 states in the midwest. I would say I've been to a variety of places in my short life (which I'm thankful for and LOVE), but the best lesson I learned from these trips is that home is wherever the people you love are. I honestly could live anywhere, in any country, in any climate, in any culture (for the most part), as long as my loved ones were with me. It's the people that make the place. I loved all those places I visited, but they were missing one thing- the PEOPLE who meant the most to me.

With that said, I absolutely love my friends at school, and they definitely had made my college experience incredible. When I'm home, I miss them so much. Honestly, they're my family away from my family. They make college another home.

I won't lie though- there's something special about the people who have known you as long as you've known yourself. Isn't that an interesting thought?
Now for the official mind-boggler:
God knew you and me before we knew ourselves.
Is your mind blown yet? If not, just wait.
He didn't just know us, He planned us.
That's right. PLANNED. As in, we have a purpose. We were created for a specific intent. We have worth. We were planned.

It's one thing for me to think about my parents knowing me since my first entrance into the world, but it's another thing to realize that God formed me before my mother even knew she was pregnant with me. Even before that, he knew that my parents would get married, and I would be the product of their union. Before that, he knew that my grandparents would have my parents. And it goes on and on and on.

God knew us before anyone did. He knew us before we knew ourselves. He knows us more than anyone still. He knows us more than we know ourselves.
He sees every inner thought, feeling, desire, wish and dream within us, whether pure or impure, and He still LOVES us.

That, my friends, is incredible.

All that to say, while it's amazing to be home with people who know and love me, it's even better to know that no matter where I am or who I'm with, God is always with me and knows me better than anyone. He never misunderstands me and never gives up on me.

So in a way, everywhere is home because God is with me no matter where I go.
GOD is home.
What a GOD I serve. So thankful.

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros sing a song called "Home is Wherever I'm With You," which is a very valid and creative phrase. In their song, however they state that even Jesus Christ isn't home compared to their "loved one." When I first heard it, I sort of gasped in shock. You know, that self-righteous "Oh dear, I can't believe someone just said that out loud," gasp. After thinking about it though, I think that's often what I do. I love my family so much, and I love being home so much, that I idolize it in a way, even above my Savior Jesus Christ. I forget that GOD is home. JESUS CHRIST is my home. Unfortunately, Sharpe and the Zeros have yet to find that out, but there's still hope. The song is a beautiful one though and a favorite of mine, but I do hope that someday they do find Jesus (sorry for the Jesus jukeness of this all, but ya know... some things just relate).

Sometimes I ignore the part I disagree with and sing the song to Jesus.
Jesus, Home is wherever I'm with YOU (everywhere). <3

No comments:

Post a Comment