Saturday, March 17, 2012

Conviction into Action

So, God has been convicting me, and I need some hardcore accountability.
People reading this- this means you. (please?)

Over and over again, I have been hearing about, reading about and learning about God's holiness. Everywhere I turn: the holiness of God and our responsibility as believers to be holy.
Honestly, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I definitely hadn't thought about this specific topic in a while, probably meaning I have been far too complacent in this little comfort zone of my life.

It all started on Sunday (I feel like that should be a commonly used phrase) when my dad preached a sermon at church which he called, "A Call to Action: Be ye holy, for I am holy." He addressed the three points in which we must evaluate regarding holiness:
Body (physical holiness), Soul (what we allow into our minds to influence us) and Spirit (corrupting the Word of God by allowing ourselves to be influenced by the world).
The two references my dad focused on were:
1 Peter 1:13-16
13 Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 14 as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; 15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16 because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”

1 Corinthians 10:11-15

11 
Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

12 
Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.
13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.
14 
Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.
15 I speak as to wise men; judge for yourselves what I say.
 My dad said something that really stuck out to me.
"Believers should be vigilant to protect themselves and their testimony."
Am I protecting my mind, my body, my soul, my spirit and every aspect of me from images, thoughts, actions or people that are not honoring to God?
One thing my dad always emphasized to our family throughout my life is that
"Compromise leads to CORRUPTION."
What have I been compromising with regarding holiness that is corrupting my walk with God and my testimony to the world?

Honestly, this is really humbling and difficult to admit (especially on my public blog), but I know it needs to be admitted, addressed, and then acted upon.
Even as a Christian, I often watch movies, read books, listen to music or whatever it may be, overlooking or not even noticing sexual references, innuendos, or even sexual scenes.
I even have been less affected by foul language than I have been in the past.
I watch things that instill fear within my heart, collapsing my trust in God- the One who gives us a reason to never be afraid.
I have allowed  people, relationships and feelings to become an IDOL in my life.

This is NOT to say that all non-Christian movies, music, books and media are bad and not allowed for the Christian. I do not believe that at all.
However, when I allow impure aspects of it to fill my mind,
I am hindering my walk with God,
removing edification from my life and  
making myself more vulnerable to sin in my life.

So, this is me, announcing to whoever is reading this, that
I make a commitment 
to be more aware of what I am filling my mind with and
to FIGHT to remove anything unwholesome from my life
to grow closer to God and
to maintain a firm Christian testimony.
DISCLAIMER: I will fail.
I recognize that I cannot do it in my own strength and  
must rely on the strength of the Holy Spirit.
It will be a BATTLE.
I will fall at times and it will take a long time to remove some habits from my life,
but I will FIGHT to walk in the holiness of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Your prayers are appreciated.

This is also a challenge for you. If you are a believer in Jesus Christ, EVALUATE YOURSELF.
Let's strive to bring honor and GLORY to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment