Monday, December 5, 2011

A Christmas Post

Christmas music everywhere we go, lights over-taking the center of campus, and a giant Christmas spectacular .. and they wonder why we can't focus on our finals.
It seems that all year long the work load seems to pile up, but come finals week, life's enjoyments seem to become new again as the end of the hard work is approaching (temporarily, anyway).
I love this time of year.. but who doesn't? Christmas productions all over the place, shiny and bright objects, glitter, bells, warm coats, fireplaces, snowman-shaped cookies, decorations galore.

However, I fear that I am probably the only one on the planet who hates the whole gifts part of Christmas. Am I abnormal? Probably.

My logic behind this feeling:
- Awkward gift exchanges
- Not knowing what to get people
- Over-priced everything, when I am currently a poor college student
- Crazy stores everywhere = stress
- The pressure behind the gift giving; that "they don't like me because they didn't get me something" mentality; basing relationships on the gifts
- Getting so caught up in the gifts, not giving the true meaning of Christmas the attention it deserves (our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ) and not just enjoying the simplicity of family time.

Forgive me if you disagree, but that's how it goes in my mind.
I'm guessing gift-giving is just not one of my main love languages (don't get me wrong- if someone I really care about gets me something meaningful that shows they actually know me, I get giddy. There's no denying that).

What's my favorite part of this whole season?  
- Jesus is amazing.
Just another time to remember the most incredible gift ever given- God leaving His glory in heaven to live among men in a corrupt world to save us. Grace- Jesus Christ giving us what we don't deserve- Life.
- Music everywhere 
 Why is it that the rest of the year, you don't find groups of people sing together, knowing all the words by heart and bonding through the joy of music? Someone should mend this problem, and they should do it as soon as possible.
- Everyone's in a better mood
Something about this time of year brings people together, lifts people's spirits, and creates an overall joyous occasion. Chipper, cheery, sweet, bright.. whatever you want to call it.
- Family time
This is pretty self explanatory.
- Dressing up
I don't know about the rest of the world, but I'm particularly fond of getting to wear pretty Christmas-colored outfits with cute hair bows and colorful jewelry. The girly-ness in me is appeased this time of year.
- Delicious baked goods
Alrighty. This could be the top on my list.. but that's debatable. Chocolate cookies, pies, cakes, cheescakes... bring it all on. Chocolate everything. Just yes.
- Christmas pageants and programs galore
Who doesn't love the free, cheesy entertainment? Just kidding, it's cute, it really is.
- Christmas movies
Need I say more?

The list goes on, but I will stop here.

20 DAYS!


2 comments:

  1. You are not alone in hating the gift-giving! If I could get away with canceling that whole thing in my family, I would!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad! If I had my choice, when/if I have a family, I would make up some different tradition other than gift giving.. however, I feel as though this will not be an option :[ haha.

    ReplyDelete