Wednesday, April 3, 2013

"I buy books like most women buy shoes."

Most women struggle to walk away from a pair of stilettos and would much rather walk away with them. In a shopping bag. And with less of a checking account. 
Some women have their infatuation with nails, makeup and clothing.
Brand names, bright colors, glitter and pink.

While I love being feminine and as much as I love buying dresses and other female favorites (apart from shoes.. I hate shoes), I have a slightly different obsession.

Books.
 
The word itself gives me chills. No really, I have goosebumps as I write this. That is the level to which I love books. Classic books, Christian books, books about people, books about places, books about cultures, books about life... books books books. I love books.


Mind you, I have not read every book in my collection. Someday I will, but probably not before I'm finished with college.

I have a lot of books in my collection... and here's why.

I have a problem.
Book sale? I'm there.
$.25 book rack at my library back home? Yes.
Book section at any random store? Never leaving the aisle.
Library? O_O.
Yard sales with books? Making those people rich.
Used book store? In love.

Just as a typical female melts at the sight of a beautiful pair of Prada shoes or vibrant Sephora eye shadow, so do I melt at the sight of a used book.

"Why used? Why not new?" you may wonder.

Used books hold a special place in my heart. The thought of someone else having read that exact book before me is enthralling, their heart captured by the story and their mind quickly formulating a detailed, personal image.
New books, though holding a wonderful smell and smooth feel to the pages, have not been broken in, and there's just something about a book that has been broken in already.
I feel like I should be someone who likes to break in a book, and sometimes I suppose I do.
However, especially if it is a classic book, the older and more used, the better.

My collection is growing which I am thankful for, but until I read all of these books that I have purchased over there (and spent next to nothing on each one.. I know how to bargain hunt, people. I pride myself in this skill), I need to stay out of any sort of discount or used bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment